With a population of well over 200,000, Tampere is the largest inland city in the Nordic countries. Founded in 1779 on the banks of Tammerkoski Rapids, Tampere evolved into the most highly industrialised locality in Finland during the 19th century. Thanks to the new city planning, former industrial areas such as Finlayson and Tampella are alive again – cafés, restaurants, shops, cinemas, museums and galleries have found locations there.
There is a lot to see in Tampere – original Finnish architecture, breathtaking lake sceneries, magnificent glacial ridges, beautiful parks and lush forests next to the city centre – and what could be better than a lake cruise on a beautiful summer’s day?
Tampere City Centre
• Outside the Terminal 2 exit, buses leave from Platform 13 or 14. For arrivals in Terminal 1, buses leave from Platform 5.
• Journey time usually ranges from 2hrs15mins to 2hrs 45mins. Single way ticket costs 27€.
Helsinki-Vantaa Airport / Tampere bus station
Hatanpään valtatie 7, 33100 Tampere
• YFrom the station located in Terminal 2, you can take a direct train to Tikkurila station, where you can catch a connecting train to Tampere.
• The journey lasts about 2 hours, and the price of a ticket is 21€.
Tampere Railway Station
Rautatienkatu 25, 33100 Tampere
• Airport Taxi runs between the city center and the airport. It is the very first taxi in the taxi line at Terminal 1. (Note: There should be a sign of the Airport taxi next to the car).
• Journey takes around 20mins. Fixed price 19 euros for each passenger. One luggage per passenger.
Getting to Mediapolis
TAMK’s 10TH International Week will take place at Mediapolis. Here is a guide on how to make it there from the city centre.
Take buses 8 or 17 from Rautatieasema or Keskustori, and stop at Mediapolis. Buses go quite frequently.
If you need to check the timetable you can use TKL’s Journey Planner.
Once you are at the bus stop, go on your right, where the Mediapolis sign is visible.
Just follow that road until the end.
Then, you’ll find the main entrance to Mediapolis on your left.
• Our cafeteria will be open from 11a.m to 14p.m.
• Student lunch price is €2.60, normal price is €9.20.
• However, we also have microwaves and kettles in the second floor socialising lobbly, so you can also warm up your food there, if you so wish.
• Note that Mediapolis is located in Tohloppi, and there are no restaurants or supermarkets around; there is a K-Market supermarket in Epilä but you’ll need to walk 15-20 minutes to get there.
• We also have a kiosk which is open until 16p.m.